the diamond that started it all

the diamond that started it all

COME IN!

welcome to my blog...my mission is to give you a glimps of my life as a mother, wife, decorator, painter, and active woman. my inspiration comes from traveling, my education, and my family and friends. i have to admit upfront, however, that my "education" does not include a background in english, so please be patient with my grammar and spelling. i am, however, happy to share on this blog what i learn in my daily life from painting and decorating. here you will also find a real account of my struggles, my experiences, and my many reasons to rejoice. april, or the month of the diamond, is when my first and only daughter, mollie, was born. she is the reason i am a joyful mother, wife, and person today. i appreciate your time, and thank you in advance for your advice. perhaps one day you will be reading from my website but for now this homemade blog will do:-)
love, laura

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

learn from creative friends

have you ever met someone so insanely creative that the thought of what goes through their mind scares you? for me, that person is a very close friend. megan adams. she is a very talented fabric designer currently finishing her masters in Fibers. one question that will only be answered in heaven...how does God appoint megan to get her masters in "fibers"? kinna like, why is my sister driven to obtain her masters in computer science? megan may not know why, but as she states on her website, she has intention:




“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.” Col. 3:23

often, friends ask me how i know what to put together in my own home. honestly, i tell them that if you are true to yourself and go with your instinct then your own home, office, yard, etc. will naturally come together. if, however, you second guess yourself and worry over silly decisions over design then your space will not only have a chaotic feel but also it will reflect someone elses taste. for example, in my home i went with an over stuffed, slipcovered sofa and chair in the den because i want people to feel comfortable and at ease. the fabric i wanted to feel soft and the colors warm but besides that i didn't overthink the den. now other rooms in the house, i put more thought into for decorating purposes. if i made my den fancy with sharp edges it simply would reflect another person, not me.



we could all learn a tremendous amount about color in our own home just by checking out megan's designs. do not be shy when playing around with fabrics, colors, and textures. of course, we would all love to own a pillow, lamp shade, or just a square inch of her fabric but the point i am making is...i think sometimes we take for granted the creative friends we have around us and just decide to hire someone else to do it (i give you grace if you have 10,000 sq ft house). friends can also be a local art museum, by the way...






*etching damask pictured above

No comments:

Post a Comment