the diamond that started it all

the diamond that started it all

COME IN!

welcome to my blog...my mission is to give you a glimps of my life as a mother, wife, decorator, painter, and active woman. my inspiration comes from traveling, my education, and my family and friends. i have to admit upfront, however, that my "education" does not include a background in english, so please be patient with my grammar and spelling. i am, however, happy to share on this blog what i learn in my daily life from painting and decorating. here you will also find a real account of my struggles, my experiences, and my many reasons to rejoice. april, or the month of the diamond, is when my first and only daughter, mollie, was born. she is the reason i am a joyful mother, wife, and person today. i appreciate your time, and thank you in advance for your advice. perhaps one day you will be reading from my website but for now this homemade blog will do:-)
love, laura

Thursday, December 17, 2009

a moment for moms

if you're a mom or ever thinking of becoming a mom one day, please read the mission of motherhood by sally clarkson. i don't take these words lightly...it "has changed my life." the last book i said that about was the praying gods will for your life. i read it in college during my crazy years and it (along with god's grace) brought me back to reality.


i guess these sorts of "mommy books" don't really click until you're in the boat. i have been in the boat 8 months and this book made me realize my purpose as a mother. not only for now in this baby stage, but it set my goals for a life of motherhood. i am no dummy; i know not all mothers have the desire or the ability to be a stay-at-home-mom, either way this is an enlightening read. i believe we shape our children from day one and the one main point i learned from her book is that it's the everyday choices we make as mothers that make lasting impressions on our kids. furthermore, knowing the privilege of having the blessing of children is one thing, but the way that clarkson relates to being a mother of 4 herself after having a thriving career is beautiful. she is one wise woman.



i have to share a preview of what i underlined so far:

the mission of motherhood is strategic in providing the next generation with whole-hearted, emotionally healthy, and spiritually alive adults. it is not simply a lifestyle choice. it is a divine calling that will indeed affect eternity.


• making this choice ahead of time means i will expect problems and needs to arise and be ready to deal with them in peace instead of impatience and resentment


• "they will learn that my joy is not circumstantial but real because i have an endless source of strength through the power of the holy spirit in my life"


• the minority of mothers who choose to devote their lives to the nurturing of a godly heritage by focusing on their home as the center of life find themselves unsupported and unaffirmed by a culture that does not value their contribution


• the most important factor in being successful as a mother is to turn our hearts to God, seek his will, and to allow him to begin making sense out of the messes we've made of our lives.


• what we have gained in lifestyle options and material goods we have lost in terms of time, flexibility, peace, and personal attention


• instead of being rocked and nursed and sung to by a mother who has time to stay until all childish fears are at rest, they tens to be rocked and nursed and put to bed by a loving mother who is desperate for them to go to sleep so she can sleep too


• in the absence of biblical convictions, people will go the way of their culture


• "instead of seeing fusses and messes as irritations in my day, i am more likely to see them as opportunities to train my children to be peacemakers and to learn to be responsible for their own messes"


"...but it's the way that i respond to my children in everyday moments that gives me to best chance of winning their hearts"




i am only half way through the book; however, i couldn't resist getting the message out as soon as i could. i strongly encourage you to buy it, borrow it, rent it today...

No comments:

Post a Comment