the diamond that started it all

the diamond that started it all

COME IN!

welcome to my blog...my mission is to give you a glimps of my life as a mother, wife, decorator, painter, and active woman. my inspiration comes from traveling, my education, and my family and friends. i have to admit upfront, however, that my "education" does not include a background in english, so please be patient with my grammar and spelling. i am, however, happy to share on this blog what i learn in my daily life from painting and decorating. here you will also find a real account of my struggles, my experiences, and my many reasons to rejoice. april, or the month of the diamond, is when my first and only daughter, mollie, was born. she is the reason i am a joyful mother, wife, and person today. i appreciate your time, and thank you in advance for your advice. perhaps one day you will be reading from my website but for now this homemade blog will do:-)
love, laura

Monday, December 14, 2009

plan, prepare, punt


more decorating ideas:
i love the use of burlap all year around but especially at christmas.  i copied this tear out from a magazine last season and used burlap last christmas myself.  I tied bows just like the photo shows.  i also used burlap to tie around flower pots for outside use.  i would also use burlap as curtains if i could.

a few words about holiday decorating though...

christmas can be overwhelming if you let it, and i want to state the importance of simply counting your blessings. i am a proponent of decorating, but only to the extent to which it doesn't stress you (or anyone else in your family) out! i'm not going to pretend like i coined the phrase, "plan, prepare, punt", but i have been thinking of a way to express my feelings about decorating for holidays and here goes. plan-come up with a theme (or not) for your home. go outside of your front door, ring the door bell, and walk inside. how do you want your house to smell, feel, look? prepare-anytime guests or family are invited over, plan ahead so that all of the work doesn't pile up the day before. (for ex, i take mollie to my mother-in-law's home for a day a few days before the anticipated date to get all of my shopping done. the next day i set the table, the next day i arrange the flowers, and so on). punt-perhaps the most important point. whatever is leftover after you have planned and prepared, punt it out! get rid of any worrisome thoughts and enjoy your holiday. as my yoga teacher said this morning, "down dog, exhale it out...". let us not lose sight of the true meaning of christmas.
wrapping tips let me make one thing clear...wrapping gifts stresses me out. i am horrible at it. if you are not like me check out this month's real simple magazine for 21 different easy ways of packaging your christmas gifts this year. i just like to open the gifts:-)

treats: if you are one of those very lucky people who receives yummy treats from friends like a trio of flavored popcorn, a "harvey wallbanger" cake from next door, a box of fresh pears....please do us all a favor and savor every bite. don't take those gifts for granted.
speaking of eating...
oreo truffles: 1 package room temp cream cheese + some oreos (sorry kids, i'm not too exact) in your food processor, roll into balls, place on greased parchment paper. in the frig they go. meanwhile, melt white chocolate over a double boiler on low heat. remove cold balls and roll in white chocolate. messy but worth it.  I tried these out on a friend.  Her husband cornered me at a party this weekend and raved over them...




other simple ideas...

"speedy turtles": 1 lb package small pretzels, 3 packages rolo candies, 1 cup pecan halves. place pretzels on cookie sheet (spray sheet prior with cooking spray). place rolo on top of pretzel. bake 5 min on 350. remove and place pecan hlaf on each melted rolo.


"naked men": take store bought, "naked" gingerbreadmen. melt your favorite chocolate in a double boiler, even add peanut butter in the choc if you like. dip the men in and give him pants, then roll in your fav topping, like crushed oreos, give him buttons and a bowtie. then, let dry before wrapping a few in cellophane with a festive ribbon and distributing them to neighbors:-)


cake balls: combine box cake mix plus your favorite frosting, literally mix them together. roll in your favorite flavor melted chocolate and set on baking sheet in the refrigerator. done.

No comments:

Post a Comment